Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Perfect Curl. And I am an expert.


Truth. For 50 years, I had butch-short hair. One day, my darling daughter broke by blowdryer and I had to walk out of the house with wet hair. That day, I discovered that I had curly hair. 

I haven't had a haircut since then. In the past 2 years I've become obsessed (<--- understatement) with my curls. So in an effort to keep you REALLY informed about what works (for me) here are some product reviews.

Rule #1 Wash and condition your hair and comb the conditioner through before rinsing it out.

Use this type of comb

Then put it up in a Microfiber hair towel. I bought this one but it was too small for my huge/thick hair. For LESS money, you can but one of these from the auto parts store. I guess using a regular towel is bad?

To dry your hair, apply your mousse/gel/cream/oil on the ENDS first, then crunch it through the rest of your hair. Flip your head upside down and use a diffuser to dry it. But don't dry it all the way.

So here are my product reviews. And yes, I bought ALL of these shampoo/conditioner/mousse/oil combos to see which one works best.

THE WORST (and most expensive) was Aveda. I used the shampoo, conditioner and curling cream. It left my hair LIKE STRAW. 


I liked THE RESULTS from Loreal Evercurl but I HATED how it felt in the shower. 
The comb-thru was not smooth and it felt quite tangly. 


The least expensive products are the Suave Moroccan Line. 
As a Woman Of Curl, I like the oily-ness it gives the curl AND it smells SOOO good!

Then, I tried John Frieda Dream Curls. Again... it felt very tangly in the shower and doesn't smell great.
Certainly NOT "dreamy"



OH--- at one point, every Curly Girl was raving about Deva Curl I bought it, hated it and returned it. 
Worst stuff ever.


My second favorite was ALSO one of the least expensive, Tresemme Flawless Curls. The shampoo, conditioner AND mousse all leave your hair soft and fluffy.

I should also mention that after EVERY shampoo/conditioner/mousse combo I tried, I used Suave Moroccan Oil. I use about 6 squirts and crunch it through my hair. In the past, I've purchased probably 10 oils- ALL more expensive... and found that Suave Oil is the best feeling AND best smelling oil. 

I hope this was helpful 
and I would love to hear what YOU use to get YOUR curls to rock!


No comments:

Post a Comment