Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I guess I DID need another tattoo


I really didn't NEED another tattoo. But each of my 9 tattoos tell a story.

If you read my book, Normal Life (which you can conveniently find in both Kindle and Hardcover at www.amazon.com/NORMAL-LIFE-Laura-Solomon-ebook/dp/B0057XSHK0) you may remember that my mother told me that I was a mistake.

Ever since I can remember, my Mom was VERY clear that she had no intention of having children so soon after getting married and that giving birth to me 9 months after their wedding pretty much ruined her life and her big plans to travel the world. She also told me that she hated babies and she 'wasn't good with me' until I could talk.

Then, twenty-two years later she hung herself.

So ya....

Part of MY special story is feeling unwanted, unimportant and devalued by the ONE person who SHOULD make you feel wanted, important and valuable.

My Dad did a great job parenting me. But yanno... I kinda wanted a good mother who said nice things and stuck around.

Fast forward to last month.
My Dad has a younger sister who is wonderful. She came across some letters that her dad, my Papa Louie, had written to her when I was about eighteen months old.

He had the most lovely penmanship and described my visits to his house. He explained in detail how much he and my Bubbie adored me and went on and on about every delightful thing I did.

In every letter, he referred to my as Miss LLL

After reading the letters about how much my Papa and Bubbie loved me, my lifelong self-esteem problem was GONE. I realized that I was not unlovable. And even though my Papa Louie died over 50 years ago, I felt completely healed because it was clear that someone was crazy about me.

So I got a tattoo of his cute writing as a physical reminder that I am loved.


SO loved,
Laura Lynn Last


No comments:

Post a Comment